03 May 2016

Character Creation - Sloppy Pencil

An Animator and Illustrator under the name of 'Sloppy Pencil' creates amusing satirical characters for the nickelodeon show ‘Pig Goat Banana Cricket’. Referencing his work to be used as inspiration for the work I did on my Collide. Attempting to recreate the techniques used in order to add some substance into the images.

His images are usually very surreal in a way where poses are exaggerated and limbs and body shapes moulded in a way that isn't seen as being normal. The use of colour is something he attempts to resemble reality but to contrast exaggerates in a way to help make the character stand out and example is the use of orange within the image below 'Donald Trump'.

Initially the characters I began creating were rather dull and boring they added no life to the image by being rather static. I began by delving into ways to make the individuals I added have more life and movement, similar to the designs done by sloppy pencil himself they were created through pencil drawings and then digitally overlayed using illustrator. In doing so came with some pro’s and cons, the positives being that the quality of image and clarity was something that could be justified as excellent. Combining this with creating multiple characters was something that went against me so I changed the way in which they would be added to my final piece by scanning them through as a fine liner image and colouring manually through photoshop.  



No comments:

Post a Comment